originally published Sep 14, 2017
Today marked the my 22nd journey around the Sun and I could not be more blessed and thankful to have made it thus far. It was only God, a supportive community of loved ones, coconut oil and shea butter that could have held me down for so many years.
The ride here has been interesting, riddled with rocky paths, unexpected forks in the road, and dark nights. But it’s also been full of sunflowers, sunshine, and love.
Over these years, life has taught me many beautiful lessons that I’d like to share with you. Maybe you’ve been through the same, or can take some of what I’ve learned to heart.
Here are 22 reflections I’ve made in my 22 years:
1. “You teach people how to treat you by what you allow, what you stop, and what you reinforce.”- Tony Gaskins
2. Friendships take work, but never feel like you have to beg someone to stay. If they love you they will stay. If they are not meant to be a part of your journey do not be afraid to let them go.
3. Even when your petals fall, you are still blooming, always.
4. When you stay true to yourself, things begin to align with yourself and your intentions.
5. Sometimes who you are to people is not who they are to you. If you find out that you mean less to them than they mean to you, then it's ok to feel hurt or disappointed. What is not ok is to think less of yourself as a result. Or hate them for the realizations.
6. And for those who are with you, love and cherish them daily. Check in on their physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health. Support their causes. Hype their dreams. Celebrate their successes. Love them relentlessly.
7. God is good. All. The. Time. With God, all things are possible.
8. You can be loved. Exactly as you are.
9. “I’d rather live having loved and hurt than have never loved at all.”- Mother Teresa. Love is so powerful, y’all.
10. Where you start does not determine where you finish. If you are not careful, your past can become an “excuse crutch” for why you cannot move forward achieve your best life. You are free to change, grow, and aspire to be more than you are.
11. Self- care is important. A better you will allow you to better serve others.
12. Pray for others. Pray for the world. But most importantly, pray for yourself.
13. Gratitude changes everything. A spirit of thankfulness makes room for alllll your blessings.
14. Bunnies are magical, beautiful, and wonderful beings.
15. Being your own cheerleader. VALIDATE YOURSELF. There will be times when people don't see your vision or try to shoot down your dreams. Constantly tell you can’t. Force you to believe you aren’t good enough or you won’t make it. Be your own advocate.
16. Determination and self-love can get you so far, my dear. Nothing is beyond your reach. Things may not always go the way you plan. This does not mean you are a failure. Life may just be showing you another way.
17. Stay in your lane- and tell others to do the same.
18. Family is everywhere and extends beyond blood.
19. Happiness depends on your attitude, not what you have. You have the ability to create and control your joy.
20. Yoga and meditation are wonderful. 10/10 recommend.
21. Embrace the feeling of not knowing. It’s ok to not have all the answers.
22. Laugh!!!! If you know me personally, you know I have an avid love for corny dad jokes. So laugh more! Life is never that serious! (:
Take what you will, share what you love, and keep continuing to journey, to learn, and to grow. Here's to another beautiful year.